Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Finding Out the Big News

It all started at camp. Okay, no it didn't START start then, haha, but the SYMPTOMS started then. So for those of you who were at camp with me, yes, I was pregnant then and didn't know it yet. I'll use subconscious motherly instinct as my excuse for not doing the rappelling or the high elements at all. :) 

I began feeling weird pretty much as early as possible in the pregnancy. Toward the end of the week I was feeling ultra tired, weak, and feverish. I thought I had just overdone it and that it could be from a lack or sleep and lots of physical activity. Jordan agreed. (We were working together at camp which was absolutely wonderful.)

I knew pregnancy was a possibility, but according to my app tracker thing I thought we probably missed the window of time that it could happen due to camp. I have always kept track of cycles since I've had a smart phone (which I totally recommend -- it is sooo easy. I'll go over helpful apps in another post). Our marriage life was just happening as usual without any changes, so we weren't scheduling or doing anything differently (besides not preventing). 

The day after we got home we went to church, ate lunch at my Grandma's, and I was still feeling off. I didn't even do the nursery that day because I was afraid I had something contagious due to my fever. After we left lunch I decided to stop by the dollar store to get a few tests. I knew it was a possibility, but I truly thought I was just feeling bad because of camp, which is pretty normal for me. And it was about that time of the month anyway, so I thought that may have something to do with it. I tried not to read too much into it, but wanted to ease my mind. (By the way, $1 tests worked great for me. I recommend them!)

We arrived home and my consumption of Grandma's sweet tea aided in my test administration. I sat there and used the dropper (if you've taken a dollar store test you know what I mean), and as soon as the test line appeared -- BAM -- a second one did too. I was like...wait. What?? Is that supposed to happen? Did I do it right? I thought I was supposed to wait a few minutes? But there it was, clear as day. 

After I sat there staring at it for a minute or two, I walked downstairs to show Jordan. He was sitting at the kitchen bar watching the World Cup on his laptop. He immediately read the look on my face and then looked at the test. We didn't say much, honestly, just hugged and prayed and hugged and prayed. It's a very surreal and strange feeling. I almost felt shy to show him, haha. 

We were cautiously excited. We hung out in disbelief that night just talking, dreaming, and figuring out when it would be born. We decided not to tell anyone until after the first doctor's appointment at least, not wanting to hype our parents up before knowing if every thing seemed a-okay. HA. That changed. But that's another story. 

I think I took another test the next day just to confirm. And then I took one again that Thursday on my birthday. I remember thinking that if the line was faint or gone that time then it could possibly be the worst birthday ever, but I just HAD to do it again that day to see if it was progressing. It was! After that third test I don't think the second line could have gotten any darker. 

I definitely didn't have to take any tests after that to make sure I was really pregnant, because the sickness hit in full force the next week. That will be my next story, so stay tuned!


  1. What a beautiful thing! You guys will be great!

  2. Hi! Okay, so I just came over from IG where I saw you mentioned HG. One of the things that helped me make it through that extremely difficult time was hearing other Mama's testimonies of how they made it through. It gave me hope that there is an end to the madness ;)
    Here is my personal HG testimony. I hope it encourages you!

  3. ahh Ashley I'm so excited for you!! And I'm so hoping you'll be coming to Influence next year so our six month olds can meet each other! As of right now, I'm planning on being there! :) xoxo

  4. Congrats girl! That's so exciting!

  5. I am so excited for you and your husband! It's exciting to see your family entering the next phase. I've missed your blog posts so it's good to see this update. Since my son was born last year I've actually moved into working with new moms and natural parenting and it has become such a fulfilling experience. I look forward to hearing more, of both your move to motherhood and your continuing journey as a Christian wife.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...