Wednesday, November 30, 2016
Our Top 20 Toddler Books
After making our Top 10 Gifts List, I knew I had to make a list of our favorite books. We read books at least three times a day, usually more. These are the ones Judah comes back to over and over. Most of these are going to be board books since they are for toddlers. :) All of them are definitely gender neutral! (There are a few truck related ones but girls can like those too of course!)
1. Go! Go! Go! Stop! -- Judah adores this book and it is personally my very favorite. This is gonna make me sound like a total English nerd (and I am) but there are SO many literacy skill elements in this book. On one page it goes through all of the machines and what they are doing with alliterated action verbs and adverbs (i.e. "mixer mixed marvelously", "tow truck towed terrifically"). It teaches how go and stop are opposites and that green means go and red means stop. It teaches teamwork, balance, and the importance of rest. It teaches problem solving. The pictures are fun. I COULD GO ON AND ON ABOUT THIS BOOK, Y'ALL. But I'll stop before this paragraph gets longer than the book itself. :)
2. A is for Apple (Trace and Flip) -- Judah LOVES the alphabet and this book has cultivated that love. It's the best simplified ABC book that I've found. Each page shows the capital and lowercase letter and two things that begin with that letter (one hidden under a flap!). It has arrows for the child to trace their finger over the letter. Judah will sit down unprompted and go through this entire book by himself.
3. Goodnight Moon -- Classic and a best seller for a good reason. The pictures are easy to look at and Judah loves to find the little mouse on each page.
4. Dr. Seuss's ABC -- I have this book completely memorized we have read it so many times. Such a fun rhyming book that you can almost sing as you read it.
5. Chicka Chicka Boom Boom -- Another alphabet book, but very different. At first I thought this book was a little strange. But as Judah got a little older he started to be crazy about this book. He asks for it every day. The very last pages have the whole alphabet on them and he loves to point at the letters as we sing the ABCs.
6. The Going to Bed Book -- Another one I have memorized, this one is a good QUICK read for bedtime or anytime. :)
7. Where's Spot? -- A classic lift the flap book that is super entertaining for Judah.
8. My Big Word Book -- This one is the updated version of the one we have but it is such a great word teaching book!
9. The Very Hungry Caterpillar -- Judah loves the holes in the book and all of the counting.
10. Baby Einstein 12 Board Book Block Set -- A set of tiny books that don't have plots or anything but Judah loves them and they are so handy to have.
11. Moo Baa La La La -- This book cracks Judah up and is another adorable one from Sandra Boynton. He loves to say all of the sounds the animals make as we read it.
12. Who's At Home -- A unique flap book, this one goes through woodland animals and where they live.
13. Little Blue Truck -- Judah didn't become attached to this book until recently (around 20 months) but it has always been one of my personal favorites. Now he loves it!
14. I Love You Night and Day -- Such a sweet book that we especially love to read at night.
15. There's a Wocket in My Pocket! -- Judah thinks this book is SO funny.
16. Snap! Snap! Guess the Animal! -- This is a lift the flap book, but the flaps cover the whole page which makes it quite dramatic when you open them.
17. Little Zebra (finger puppet book) -- There is a whole line of these finger puppet books that are so cute and fun.
18. Things That Go -- This covers such a wide range of vehicles with great pictures.
19. Baby Sophie la girafe: First Words -- A sweet lift the flap book. Judah learned all the words in this book very quickly although some of them are definitely European terms (like "brick" instead of "block").
20. The Jesus Storybook Bible -- The only one on the list that isn't a board book. This is usually what we read from every day at breakfast. I look forward to it every time because it helps ME spiritually! SO GOOD!
Happy book shopping! This is not an exhaustive list by any means, just some of our favorites. Feel free to leave some suggestions for us too!
*Affiliate links used, but all opinions are mine as always!*